This series, “Amateur to Ace” includes everything you need to know to hike a day or for months! Learn all the inside secrets that can only come from hiking thousands of miles. Much of it cannot be found in any other resource. The series consists of three levels and each DVD is packed with approximately an hour and half of essential information:
“Amateur”- Level 1
Covers primary gear choices- or basically, everything that will keep you warm and safe in various weather conditions. In addition to the topics listed below, there is much, much more on this DVD!
- Types of hikes- from a day hike, section hike or thru hike! Which one is right for you?
- How much should your backpack weigh? What is the “base weight” of a pack?
- Backpacks- How to measure for the right fit and what to look for in a pack. Learn the parts of a backpack before purchasing one!
- Tents- How to choose a shelter system, and what to consider before making your choice.
- Sleeping bags- Make sure you have the right bag for the right conditions. There’s a lot to learn about bags!
- Sleeping pads- More choices! Which one will work for you? Which one has the highest R-value? (Learn what an “R-value” is!)
- Clothing- This is an extensive topic and an important one! Don’t waste money on things you don’t need, or won’t use.
- Rain gear- What materials work best? What is the best design of rain gear for a backpacker?
- Boots and sandals- What is the right footwear for your trek? Find out here!
- Run time: 1:27:24
“Apprentice”- Level 2
Covers secondary gear choices, as listed below, but much, much more!
- Light sources- Compares various headlamps and power sources.
- Knives- Do you really need that machete? Probably not.
- Compasses- Sometimes you’ll need one, sometimes you won’t!
- Water treatment- Do you need to carry a filter, or will chemical drops or tablets do?
- Entertainment- Radio? iPod?
- Cameras and camcorders
- Glasses- or contacts? What about sunglasses?
- Toiletries- It may be awhile till your next shower! What should you take?
- First Aid kit- What to take, what to leave home.
- Trekking poles- To use or not to use.
- Whistles- Will you need one? Which is the best?
- Cooking- To cook or not to cook? And, what to use if you do!
- Food choices- Real food or dehydrated?
- How to load your backpack and pack it all up- using all the information from the first 2 DVDs!
- Run time: 1:53:40
“Ace”- Level 3
By the end of this DVD, you’ll be a pro! All that’s left is to get out there and do the miles! (And smiles!)
Some of the information included on this final DVD:
- Hiker lingo- Learn the language of the “underground” hiking world!
- Trail names- Most long distance hikers have one!
- Planning a hike
- Pre-hike training- What will get you in shape for your hike?
- Mail drops- What are mail drops and how to plan them.
- Traveling by air, etc., with your pack- How to keep your gear safe until you get to the trail!
- Hiking partners- Pros and cons.
- Trail ailments- The most common injuries and illnesses of hikers on trail.
- Testing your gear- Don’t wait till you’re out in the field to find out it if it’s going to work for you!
- GPS and Spot units- Do you need one?
- Photo options
- Planning a THRU hike!!!
- Trail angels- Who are these wonderful people and why do they love hikers?
- Elevation issues
- Hiking in different climates
- River crossings
- Building fires
- Triple Crown Award- How to get one of these prestigious awards!
- Run time: 1:37:10
Now you can use PayPal to pay for your order…whether you have a PayPal account or not!