Congratulations on starting the journey of a lifetime! “Amateur”- Level 1, is the first in our series of 3 videos designed to help you decide what type of backpack, shelter, sleeping system and clothing to buy. Take the guess work out of the mind boggling choices available to you. After this video, you’ll be able to make your purchases with confidence and know what to look for in quality gear. There’s a lot to learn about these topics, so don’t underestimate their importance. This is the gear that’s going to keep you warm, comfortable, and safe. And it can make all the difference in the field. We want you to enjoy your adventure by being properly outfitted!
Covers primary gear choices- or basically, everything that will keep you warm and safe in various weather conditions. In addition to the topics listed below, there is much, much more on this DVD!
- Types of hikes- from a day hike, section hike or thru hike! Which one is right for you?
- How much should your backpack weigh? What is the “base weight” of a pack?
- Backpacks- How to measure for the right fit and what to look for in a pack. Learn the parts of a backpack before purchasing one!
- Tents- How to choose a shelter system, and what to consider before making your choice.
- Sleeping bags- Make sure you have the right bag for the right conditions. There’s a lot to learn about bags!
- Sleeping pads- More choices! Which one will work for you? Which one has the highest R-value? (Learn what an “R-value” is!)
- Clothing- This is an extensive topic and an important one! Don’t waste money on things you don’t need, or won’t use.
- Rain gear- What materials work best? What is the best design of rain gear for a backpacker?
- Boots and sandals- What is the right footwear for your trek? Find out here!
- Run time: 1:27:24